The Field House which was commenced in 1785 and completed in 1795 was destined to become one of Ontario’s most historically significant homes. This Georgian styled,triple bricked home served as the headquarters of Major General IsaacBrock. Ironically, it served as a headquarters and a hospital for both sides in the war of1812. This approximately 3,000 square foot home, which has a scenic view of the Niagara River, was built by Colonel Gilbert Field on the land granted to his father George Fields as a United Empire Loyalist whose service with Butler’s Rangers in 1775 allowed him this privilege. Quality details of the home have been displayed in the treasured book entitled “Early Architecture of the Town and Township of Niagara” written by famed architectual historian and restorationist, Peter Stokes. This four bedroom, cedar roof was originally one of the first homes owned by the Ontario Heritage Foundation. It has six wood burning fireplaces, pine planked floors and an original “Keeping Room” with an immense cooking fireplace and bake oven. A detached carriage style wood stable with stone floors has three large double hung doors that swing out to just under an acre of mature trees, manicured gardens and nearby vineyards. The stables can provide an elegant entertainment area or a double car garage. This is a once of a life time opportunity to own one of Canada’s most significant historical sites fully equipped with all modern conveniences including 2 forced air gas furnaces and 2 central air conditioners.
Property Size: 100'0 x 250'0